Forest Home Farms is part of the San Ramon Historic Foundation and is used as a learning facility to enrich peoples lives with history and knowledge of the wonders of a farm. Its glorious really! Dan and I are local volunteers and we have recently become involved in caring for the organic garden and wildlife garden. The goal of the garden is to produce fruit and vegetables that are shared with the children who tour the farm. The farm consists of sheep, horses, chickens, bee keepers, tractor museum, historical buildings and antiques unique to the farm. The students meet with various Grandma's and Grandpa's who teach the children the importance of bees, worms in the garden, juicing your own fruit, churning butter, caring for chickens and herding sheep. The farm also hosts a Farmers Market every Saturday, sheep sheering day, Civil War re-enactment day and a train and/or tractor ride around the entire farm. Below you will see a series of pictures of the garden that Dan and I are working on.
Above we planted baby pepper plants and provided them with a green house effect by cutting the bottoms of gallon milk jugs and placing them over the baby starts that were planted in the ground. A branch off of a tree is used to keep the green houses sturdy and in the ground. 
Tomato plants are the best. This week I hope to obtain some donated tomato starts from local suppliers.
Dan and I frolicking in the garden during the Farmers Market. Dan fixed the fence behind us so that the chickens couldn't sneak in and steal all of our worms. We use the worms during the tours, the kids love them for some reason and we love to teach them the benefits of worms in your garden.
We currently have over 10 large beds to grow in, its awesome!!! Along with weekly garden maintenance, we are going to take over the irrigation project for both farms. Looks like I will have a list of questions for mom and dad when it comes to this project! I guess green thumbs run in the family!
Pumpkin starts on the bottom right were planted by us on 05/07/09...they are suppose to be the really BIG pumpkins so stay tuned for an updated photo of this one! Currently they are covered to protect from critters and heat stroke.
The lettuce has gone to seed. This week I will be pulling out most of the lettuce seen in the back row and replacing it with sunflowers and corn. The seeds are currently being germinated for their big day. The children are currently sampling lettuce during tours so I hope to have something tastier like corn. We are also growing artichokes as the sacrificial lamb. Apparently as long as you have artichokes, the bugs won't bother any other plant in the garden. Between them and the lady bugs, we seem to be infestation free.
No comments:
Post a Comment