How we spent our Black Friday:
We live near a few Historic sites in Dublin. Its always fun to give visitors a local tour as I slowly increase my knowledge of the History that this great town has to offer. We live across the street to the left of the First General Store in Dublin. The Green store was built in 1860 by John Green. John Green came to Dublin from New York. Mr. Green purchased Michael Murray's farm and built a mercantile store and hotel. He became Dublin's first and leading businessman. By 1870 Dublin had two hotels, a store, a wagon and blacksmith shop, a shoemaker, a school, a church, a Sunday school and was the crossroads for Bay Area travelers. By 1878 the community was officially named Dublin, after Dublin, Ireland.
This is Old St. Raymond's Church, built in 1859, is the oldest Catholic Church in the valley. Old St. Raymond's Church is the oldest Catholic Church building in Alameda and Contra Coata Counties. The land was donated as a church site by Michael Murray and Jeremiah Fallon who was one of the recuers of the ill-fated Donner Party in the Sierra.
In 1856 the Murray School District was formed and Murray School was built on Flanagan Way. It was soon apparent to the settlers that the ground it was on (which is where the Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton is today) was subject to flooding. Soon thereafter, horses and oxen moved the schoolhouse to Dublin Canyon Road. Here it stood for 100 years. Eventually there were too many children for the one-room schoolhouse so more schools were built. With the widening of I-580 in the 1970's the schoolhouse was moved to a third and final destination in what is now the Dublin Heritage Center. It now serves as a museum.
I took a special walk today
A corner of the town seemed so far away
But something lurked along the way
The pull was a feeling I could not free
So I took a special walk today
The path presented history
stones with moments inscribed
I learned along the way
This corner of town was all for me in a special way
Old structures at first it seemed and then
Stoned crosses, marbled tomb stones became visible
I smiled as I knew I was embarking on a peaceful place
Where lives once lived now lay at rest
This was no place for the common man
This was a place for those who made this place
I faced each tomb realizing I was greeting those
Who simply paved this place
I took a special walk today
To a place where others forever rest
I never felt more alive as I did today
No comments:
Post a Comment